2019 Portland Print Crawl
Friday December 13, 5:00-8:00 PM
Saturday December 14, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Come visit as we join with several other print shops in Portland to open our doors to the community for viewing and purchasing unique and beautiful hand-pulled prints. Printmaking artists will be on hand to talk about their work, explain various printmaking processes and answer questions. Interest in printmaking as an art form continues to grow and two additional print studios have joined Portland’s printmaking community since last year. Attendees will be able to visit any and all of the participating studios and have their “Passport” stamped. There is no charge and you can visit as many studios as you wish to fill up your passport with unique prints. Artwork will be available for sale and refreshments will be served.
Participating print studios include:
- Pickwick Independent Press at 536 Congress St.
- PrintCraft at 246 Danforth St.
- Peregrine Press at 61 Pleasant St.
- Wolfe Editions at 61 Pleasant St.
- Little Chair Printing at 648 Congress St.
- Running With Scissors at 250 Anderson St.
- Publication Studio at 613 Congress St.
- Perm Press at 82 Parris St.
- Ferdinand at 243 Congress St
- Wing Club Press at 128 Cassidy Point Drive
Let the festivities begin!
Refreshments will be served.
Free and open to the public.
WELCOME to the Peregrine Press website!
Peregrine Press, founded in 1991 as a non-profit, fine arts printmaking cooperative in Portland, Maine, is the oldest such cooperative in Maine, and among few of its kind in the nation. Currently there are 30 active members who work in a variety of printmaking techniques such as collograph, woodcut, monotype, etching, photo-etching, lithography, and other mixed media processes. The shared studio, which is available to members 24/7 is operated and maintained on a cooperative basis with an elective board that runs the organization. The full membership meets several times a year to organize events, workshops and to elect new officers; Current officers are listed on the contacts page. Peregrine Press is working towards being as toxic free a studio as possible.
What we do ...
In addition to making prints, press members teach and attend workshops at the studio and participate in gallery exhibitions around the region. As a group we've shown work at Maine Coast Artists, Aucocisco Gallery at the Eastland, The George Marshall Store Gallery, The University of Maine, Presque Isle, The Saco Museum and The University of New England.
In 2016 Peregrine Press celebrated 25 years as a cooperative printmaking studio mounting an exhibition at the Lewis Gallery at the Portland Public Library, producing a catalog, and a couple of videos about the press and the process of creating a giant peregrine falcon kite for the exhibition. You can view work from the show on the 25th anniversary page, and watch videos about the press , and making the kite on YouTube. DVDs and catalogs are available for purchase; please e-mail us if you are interested.
You can see a variety of examples of our work - on our Artists’ page, Portfolio Page, Flat File page, and the 25th Exhibition page. If you are interested in membership, please visit the Membership page; and to learn more about us just follow the links above and below.
- To provide a well-equipped studio for a diverse group of artist members;
- To celebrate the art of printmaking as an innovative, dynamic and evolving art form;
- To encourage a synergy of ideas, sharing of techniques, and mutual support;
- To educate ourselves and the general public in the art of printmaking through lectures, workshops, and exhibits;
- To mentor the next generation of printmakers by offering membership each year to a graduating print major through a scholarship in memory of Kate Mahoney and Marcie Carner.